SAFe FOR GOVERNMENT
Applying Lean-Agile practices in the public sector.
With SAFe®5 Government Practioner Certification
Transitioning to Lean-Agile practices for building technology-based capabilities is especially challenging in the government context.
But issues of legacy governance, contracting, and organizational barriers can be overcome with the right information and strategies. During this two-day course, attendees will learn the principles and practices of the Scaled Agile Framework® (SAFe®), how to execute and release value through Agile Release Trains, and what it means to lead a Lean-Agile transformation of a program inside a government agency. Attendees gain an understanding of the Lean-Agile mindset and why it’s an essential foundation for transformation. They’ll also get practical advice on building high-performing, multi-vendor Agile teams and programs, managing technology investments in Lean flow, acquiring solutions with Agile contracting, launching the program, and planning and delivering value using SAFe. Attendees also learn how specific leadership behaviors can drive successful organizational change in government.
Who will benefit?
This course is designed for government leaders and influencers who can guide the decision to adopt SAFe within their agency or program. Examples include:
• Executives, directors, branch chiefs
• Managers of development, engineering, QA, architecture, operations, support
• Program and project managers
• Program/Project Management Office (PMO)
• Advancing Lean-Agile in government
• Embracing a Lean-Agile mindset
• Understanding SAFe Principles
• Creating high-performing Agile teams and programs
• Planning with cadence and synchronization
• Delivering value in Program Increments
• Mapping the path to agency and program agility
• Leading successful change
All are welcome to attend the course, regardless of experience. However, meeting the following prerequisites will make the training more productive.
• A foundational understanding of the Agile Manifesto, SAFe House of Lean, and SAFe Principles is required using pre-work suggestions
• A foundational understanding of the full lifecycle of government technology programs is helpful
• Registered attendees will receive a list of readings and videos specific to Agile in government that will be beneficial to review before the course
What you’ll learn
To perform the role of a SAFe® for Government leader, you should be able to:
• Transition government programs from traditional software and systems development models to Lean-Agile and DevOps mindsets, principles, and practices using SAFe
• Adapt technology strategy, budgeting and forecasting, acquisition, compliance, and governance processes to flow based practices using emerging government guidelines
• Organize government programs into one or more Agile Release Trains (ARTs) and execute in Program Increments (PIs)
• Explore Large Solution coordination in a government and multi-vendor environment
• Identify and internalize the mindset and leader behaviors essential to successful Lean-Agile transformation
• Follow success patterns for SAFe implementations adapted to the government context
• Build a preliminary outline of next steps to begin and/or accelerate the SAFe implementation in your program or agency
What You Get
Class registration includes:
• Attendee workbook
• Preparation and eligibility to take the exam
• One-year membership to the SAFe Community Platform
• Certification of completion
• SAFe 5 Government Practitioner certification upon passing of exam
Attendees must attend both days of the course in order to qualify for the exam.
Certifications expire one year from the date of certification is earned.
Renewal fee: $100/year
Professional Development Units (PDUs) and Scrum Education Units (SEUs)
• You may be eligible to apply for 16 PDUs toward your continuing education requirements with the Project Management Institute (PMI) for PMP, PgMP, and PMI-ACP certifications
• You may be eligible to apply for SEUs under Category C, toward earning or renewing your CSP through the Scrum Alliance